Field trips are available Monday through Friday 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Book early; space is limited. Call (631) 271-FARM (3276) to discuss your field trip.
Spring Field Trips
F&W Schmitt’s Family Farm offers schools and camps an opportunity to visit the farm for a fun and educational field trip. Your student will gain an understanding of the lifecycle of a plant on the farm, taking home a grade-level appropriate activity as a follow-up to these field trip highlights:
- Classroom: Students will be given a lesson on the journey of a plant on the farm, preparing their own seedlings to take home.
- Barn: Students will participate in the preparation of soil for planting, observing equipment and soil needs
- Seeding: Students will learn how the seeder places seeds into soil for the first stage of growing.
- Germination: In the greenhouse, students will learn about the tools farmers use to encourage the growth of plants on the farm.
- Field: Students will view the field to see where various plants are placed, learn about germination and see equipment.
- Retail: Students will see the grown plants as they end their journey, ready to be sold.
Fall Field Trips
During your student’s fall field trip on our Long Island farm, he or she will be immersed in an authentic farm environment to learn about pumpkins and vegetables. Each class will take home a grade-level-appropriate activity that can serve as a follow-up to these field trip highlights:
- Welcome: Your group will disembark from the bus and walk up the hill where you will be greeted by one of the Schmitt’s farm team members.
- Wagon: Your group will be taken on a tractor-drawn wagon where a team member will give an overview of the farm and the work that is taking place. The wagon will make stops along the way.
- Pumpkin Picking: Students will have the opportunity to pick a pumpkin right off the vine in the pumpkin field.
- Vegetable Picking: Available until the first frost, students will see many of our vegetables and learn about the steps involved in planting and care. Students are welcome to pick these at the teachers’ discretion.
- Learn about our Corn Maze: While seated on the wagon, the students will learn about the special corn we use to make our corn maze.
- Playground: If time and weather permit, we have a playground for the students to enjoy, and farm animals for the students to see.